Alabama Women’s Golf Set to Close Regular Season at Liz Murphey Collegiate Classic
ATHENS, Ga. – The University of Alabama women’s golf team will wrap up its regular season this weekend at the 50th annual Liz Murphey Collegiate Classic. The three-day, 54-hole tournament will be held at the University of Georgia Golf Course (par 72, 6,327 yards) in Athens, Georgia, March 25-27.
Live scores throughout the season finale can be found here.
The 15-team field includes eight teams ranked in the top 25 of the latest Golfstat rankings, including No. 3 Wake Forest, No. 4 South Carolina, No. 11 Texas, No. 12 Alabama, No. 13 Southern California, No. 13. 16 Texas A&M, No. 17 Arkansas and No. 22 Ole Miss. Other competing teams include Georgia Southern, Houston, Georgia, Mercer, Mississippi State, Louisville and Charleston.
The Crimson Tide will kick off Friday morning on hole #1 at 7:30 a.m. CT alongside Georgia Southern. The two teams will remain paired for the second round on Saturday, starting from the No. 10 hole at 12:32 p.m. CT. Final round pairings and tee times will be determined based on standings after the second round.
Alabama is 17-5 against the field so far this season, undefeated against Southern California, Texas A&M, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Southern Georgia, Georgia, Mississippi State and Louisville, with its only losses to Wake Forest, South Carolina and Texas. The tournament will mark Alabama’s first instance competing against Houston, Mercer and Charleston this season.
“We’ve had enough success over the years in this event, so we’re always excited to play here. We’ll go with the same roster we’ve had in the last two events. Benedetta Moresco, Polly Mac and Angelique Moresco have been our anchors throughout the year. Isabelle van der Biest and Sarah Edwards will complete our top 5.”
- Alabama’s lineup will include Polly Mac, Benedetta Moresco, Angelique Moresco, Isabelle van der Biest and Sarah Edwards.
- Mack, A. Moresco and B. Moresco participated in the roster for all tournaments in the 2021-22 campaign.
- B. Moresco and Mack are both ranked in the top 15 nationally individually, according to Golfstat, at No. 13 and No. 14, respectively.
- B. Moresco leads Alabama in shot average this season (70.50), while Mack is a close second (71.35).
- The two are the only Crimson Tide team players with an average below par.
- Mack is coming off a top-five finish at the Valspar Augusta Invitational, where she led the Tide roster both days of competition with rounds of 75 and 72.
- Fifth place is his best ranking of the season.
- She is also the only Crimson Tide golfer to contribute 100% of her rounds to Tide’s team total this season (20).
- B. Moresco, A. Moresco and van der Biest all finished in the top 25 of the Valspar Augusta Invitational last weekend, taking 16th, 22nd and 25th respectively
- The Liz Murphey Collegiate Classic is held annually on the par-72, 6,327-yard University of Georgia Golf Course in Athens, Georgia.
- The tournament is in its 50th year and is hosted by the University of Georgia.
- The tournament field consists of 15 teams, eight of which are currently ranked in the top 25 according to Golfstat.
- The field also includes seven of the nation’s top 15 individual players, including USC’s No. 2 Amari Avery, Wake Forest’s No. 3 Rachel Kuehn, Texas’ No. 7 Sara Kouskova, No. 9 Hannah Darling of South Carolina, the No. 3. 13 Benedetta Moresco of Alabama, No. 14 Polly Mac of Alabama and No. 15 Carol Lopez-Chacarra of Wake Forest.
- The Crimson Tide have won the Liz Murphey three times, including in 2010-11, 2011-12 and 2017-18.
- In its last tournament win, Alabama combined rounds of 276-286-287 for a tournament total of 849. In a fun twist of events, former Cheyenne Knight and Lauren Stephenson also tied for the individual title that season as well.
For all the latest team news, follow @AlabamaWGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook. General sports news can be found @UA_Athletics on Twitter and Instagram and Alabama Athletics on Facebook.