Hartford Hawks Athletics – Men’s Macdonald Cup Golf Set
NEW HAVEN, Connecticut – Four days after participating in their host event at Bull’s Bridge Golf Club, the Hartford men’s golf team returns to the courts this weekend on their way to the Yale Golf Course for the Macdonald Cup. Hosted by Yale, the two-day event, which features 36 holes on day one and 18 on Sunday, begins at 7:10 a.m. on Saturday.
THE MACDONALD CUP
DATED: Saturday September 25 – Sunday September 26
CLASSES: Yale Golf Course
SITE: New Haven, Connecticut.
BY / GARDEN: 70/6 749
PARTICIPATING TEAMS: Bucknell, Colgate, Cornell, Dartmouth, Fairfield, Fordham, Hartford, Harvard, Michigan, Penn, Princeton, Saint-Bonaventure, Saint-Jean, Yale
HARTFORD QUICK HATS
- This weekend marks Hartford’s third event this season
- The Hawks are tied for fifth on 16 teams at the Ryan T. Lee Memorial to open the campaign before taking eighth place at the Hartford Hawks Invitational, an 18-team field.
- Jared winiarz got off to a good start in his senior season, shooting below par in four of the five laps
- Hartford’s best player at the Hartford Hawks Invitational, he leads the team with a career low 71.40 stroke average.
- First-year student Bryce zimmerman, who tied for sixth to set the pace for the Hawks in their season opener, starts the weekend with an average of 74.40 points
- Hartford’s 2020-21 campaign, which ran entirely in spring 2021 due to COVID-19, featured nine tournaments
- The Hawks have been very successful in this streak, posting five top-five finishes, including three tag team titles (Hartford Invites to Wintonbury Hills, Hartford Invites to Tumble Brook and Hartford Invites to Gillette Ridge) and a runner-up performance (The Doc Gimmler)
- As a team, Hartford averaged 296.27 strokes in 2020-21 for the fifth-lowest score in program history
- Hawks return to Macdonald Cup for first time since 2016
- Elias Brut, who is currently a volunteer assistant at Hartford, tied for 23rd to lead the team as a rookie with a score of 6 of 216
- The event was last played in 2019, with Minnesota taking the top spot with an 830
- The Hawks took eighth place among a squad of 18 teams at the Hartford Hawks Invitational, held at Bull’s Bridge Golf Club on Monday and Tuesday.
- Winiarz had an exceptional performance at the event, winning three consecutive heats under par (71-71-69) to finish eighth overall.
- His 211 under-5 scored a personal best in three rounds, while his eighth-place effort was a career best result.
- Graduate student Ryan tomaso posted Hartford’s second-best result, tied for 44th with a 9-over 225
- Play as an individual, senior Danny frodigh used a par 72 in the final round to tie for 46th with a 6-over 222
NEXT TO TAP
- End of fall 2021 slate lands Hawks at UConn Invitational
- Held at the Great Horse Golf Club in Hampden, Massachusetts, the three-day event kicks off on Sunday, October 3.