Tournament preview: No.15 men’s golf set to defend title at Royal Lakes-Oglethorpe Invitational
Men’s Golf No. 15 at the Royal Lakes-Oglethorpe Invitational
Monday, October 10 | 9:55 a.m.
Tuesday October 11 | 9am
Royal Lakes Golf and Country Club | Flowering branch, Ga.
WHAT THERE IS TO KNOW
• Number 15 Babson travels to suburban Atlanta to compete in the Royal Lakes-Oglethorpe Invitational for the fourth time since 2018 starting Monday morning.
• The Royal Lakes Golf and Country Club is a par-72 course expected to play 6,828 yards for this year’s 36-hole tournament.
2021 ROYAL LAKES-OGLETHORPE INVITATION RECAP
• Nicholas Gianelos ’22 closed with an 8-under 64 that included an eagle on his final hole to share medalist honors as Babson posted a 13-under 563 for a 12-stroke victory over Oglethorpe the September 26 and 27.
• Gianelos finished the 36-hole tournament under 7, Jackson Rothwell shot 66-73 to finish third under 5, and senior Sean Fitzgerald tied for seventh at 1 under for the Beavers.
IN SEARCH OF BEASTS
• Number 15 Babson is coming off a 12th-place finish at the 54-hole NCAA Division III Fall Preview on Tuesday at Keene Trace Golf Club in Nicholasville, Ky.
• Second year John Baudouin shot 72-76-72 to tie fifth at 4-over, while a grad Jared Winiarz closed with a career-best round of 5 under 67 to grab a share of 10th place at 6 over as the Beavers posted their best team score of the event (294) in the round Tuesday’s final.
• Baldwin leads the Green and White with an average of 73.43 strokes and has three top-seven finishes in three events this fall, Winiarz (74.14) has two top-10 finishes in three starts, and junior Jason Lee has an average of 76.25 and is coming off a tie for 25th at Williams on Sept. 17-18.
• Graduate student Michael Olmsted made his debut for Babson at NCAA Fall Preview shooting 77-80-76 to tie for 51st at 17+.
• In seven rounds this fall, the Greens and Whites have a team point average of 301.29.
STRONG FIELD GATHERS IN GEORGIA
• The 22-team field includes seven ranked programs in the Bushnell Golfweek Division III Coaches Poll and three other teams that received the top 25 votes.
• No. 13 Washington & Lee tied for second at last week’s NCAA Fall Preview, No. 11 Oglethorpe tied for eighth and No. 14 Greensboro finished a blow ahead of Babson in 11th position.
• Eighth-placed Guilford beat three top-five teams to win the 54-hole Gate City Invitational on 27 September.
SUCCESS IN THE PEACH STATE
• Babson has played well on three previous trips to the Royal Lakes-Oglethorpe Invitational, winning part of the title in 2018 and winning again last season after finishing fourth in 2019.
• In six rounds at Royal Lakes Golf and Country Club, the Beavers have a team point average of 287 and have posted below-average scores in nine individual rounds.
• Babson’s low 18-hole score (276) and low 36-hole total (563) both arrived last year on course for a 12-stroke victory.
BACK FOR OLMSTED
• The native of Alpharetta, Georgia returns to his home country and will play at the Royal Lakes-Oglethorpe Invitational this week for the third time in his career.
• Olmsted shot 67-70 to tie for first in the individual standings with Babson’s Nicholas Gianelos ’22 at 7 under last season and grabbed a share of ninth at 3 under in the 2019 event He owns a career 69.5 average over four innings at the Royal Lakes G&CC.
• Babson will wrap up the fall portion of his schedule at the NEIGA Championship in Brewster, Mass., Oct. 15-16.